Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why I love Godzilla


Let’s take another break from sentai.  Godzilla... The name is probably known worldwide.  Even people who have never watched any of the movies should have some knowledge of what the name itself projects.  An unstoppable giant, fire-breathing radioactive lizard, some prefer dinosaur, destroying a city while fighting another giant monster.   

I have vivid memories of watching Godzilla as a child.  I remember watching Terror of Mecha Godzilla and Godzilla Vs Mothra in VHS format when I was maybe 7 to 8 years old.  Some scenes I remember.  Mecha Godzilla forms a shield around itself while Godzilla tries to charge into it.  It results in Godzilla getting bloody hands.  Godzilla being buried alived by Mecha Godzilla and Titanosaurus.  Godzilla brutalizing Mecha Godzilla and Titanosaurus.  Godzilla being wrapped in silk by Mothra larvae and falling into the ocean.  

These memories definitely shaped the way my interests are today.  No wonder I love seeing heroic moments, destroyed infrastructure, awe inspiring scenes and explosions.  These are all present in a Godzilla or kaiju(giant monster) movie.  Now I clearly only want to see Gozilla so after watching the movie whole for the first time, I will just skip to the parts where Godzilla comes in and starts smashing things.

I remember watching the 1998 movie in a theater.  By the end, I was very confused and angry.  Everyone knows the argument.  Godzilla can’t die from a few measly missiles.  The Godzilla I know can take 10 times more than that and then some.  

My love for Godzilla escalated due to my discovery of Cinemassacre’s Godzillathon during late 2009.  It revived wonderful memories and I was hooked.  I quickly hunted down the movies and memorized facts.  I now know there are 29 movies, 28 produced by Toho.  I have watched all of the Millennium, almost all of the Heisei and very few of the Showa.  I definitely love the Millennium design the best.  I remember finding a VCD copy of Godzilla 2000 and I instantly fell in love with the movie.  The classic theme playing at the end was the icing on the cake.  Around 2010, my interest was at its peak.  I even wrote a fanfic meeting for Gozilla and Power Rangers.  At the time, I was not yet knowledgeable about Super Sentai.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5062466/1/Godzilla_Vs_Power_Rangers     

I have tried making a video version of it but it is proving very difficult, but it is a work in progress.  It was also during this time I began to see Godzilla as a big dog.  I have three dogs and I can see some similarities in the way they act like Godzilla.  Yes, I was that obsessed.

At the moment, I am more into Super Sentai and Kamen Rider.  But I know Godzilla was my introduction to these things.  Of course Power Rangers had a huge role in that as well.  The reboot next year is one of my must see in the theater.   



















No comments:

Post a Comment