Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Every Super Sentai Opening Theme

Here I will give my thoughts on the opening themes of each Super Sentai series.  I have listened to all of them, some of them only the live version.   Consider this post as a tribute to a Youtube user named theippachai.  His account consisted of tribute videos of super sentai series, as well as some Kamen Rider series accompanied with the full opening theme.  The tribute videos usually showcase the origin of the team, awesome scenes of series and the final battles.  It was because of these videos that inspired me to seek out all the opening themes.  It also gives you the idea of which sentai series you would want to watch.  His account has since been disabled earlier this year so whoever you are, if you ever read this, I thank you for those great videos.  

I will categorize the songs into 3 groups:
1. The ones I really like and if it came up on my IPod, I would most likely listen to it
2. The ones I like and have no complaints about and will not be skipped if it came up on my Ipod
3. The ones I have a problem with and would most likely skip if it came up on my Ipod


Himitsu Sentai Goranger (Live version)
I think this is the only opening theme sang by a duet.  The artist who sang the Voltes V theme is part of it.  Her voice is really recognizable.  The guy is really good.  His deep voice is really epic sounding.


J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai  (Live version and episode version)
The guy who sang Goranger sings this and his deep voice is back and I also like it.  Jacker, jacker…


Battle Fever J (Live version)
The artist was Mojo.  It is upbeat, with him mouthing off phrases in different languages.  My only complaint was the super high creepy voices of the backup female vocalists.


Denshi Sentai Denziman (Episode version)
This was a really unique theme.  Shame there was no live version.  I liked the artist’s voice, especially when he shouts Denzimaaaaan! LOL. 


Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan (Live and episode version)
Oh man, the energy given off by the artist in the live version was incredible.  The beat is also really catchy.  Eagle, Shark, Panther


Dai Sentai Goggle-V (Live version)
Mojo sang this one.  Not as memorable as the others.  The only I can recall is Goggle Fiiiiiiiiiiiive!


Kagaku Sentai Dynaman (Live version)
Mojo again.  This one was surprisingly nice.  Dydydydydynaman, bakuhatsu 2x. His face when he sings the chorus just dares you not to sing along to the intensity.


Choudenshi Bioman (Live and episode version)
I’m from the Philippines.  I remember watching a little so it’s no contest that I really like this one. 


Dengeki Sentai Changeman (Live and episode version)
The guy who sang the Dragonball theme sang this one.  I first heard the episode version before hearing the live and finding out he sang the Dragonball theme.  I immediately liked it.  Oh yes!


Choushinsei Flashman (Live and episode version)
I first heard the live and didn’t think much of it.  I recently downloaded the first episode and was so wowed by the opening that I immediately listened to the live version again and it is now one of my favorites.


Hikari Sentai Maskman (Live and episode version)
I have to admit, I will skip this if it is the song in my iPod.  Nice but gets kinda slow.  The guy who sang the Dragonball theme sang this one.


Choujuu Sentai Liveman (Episode version)
This one is very catchy.  I first heard it while watching the 25th anniversary movie and it just flowed so well with the fight scenes.  Sung by the red Senshi Red Falcon.


Kousoku Sentai Turboranger (Live and episode version)
Another very very catchy one also sang by the red Senshi Red Turbo.  Very upbeat tune.  Da Da Dash!


Chikyu Sentai Fiveman (Episode version)
Not really liking it that much.  Woah woah my brother and sister.


Chōjin Sentai Jetman (Live and episode version)
The guy who sang the Dragonball theme sang this one.  I like it very much. 


Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger (Live and episode version)
Red Turbo sang this one.  This is probably one of the least likeable.  During the first minute, there are no lyrics, only music.  That makes it real hard to endure if it plays next on the iPod.    


Gosei Sentai Dairanger (Live and episode version)
 A good one but not a favorite.


Ninja Sentai Kakuranger (Episode version)
This has a really fun tune but not a favorite.


Chōriki Sentai Ohranger (Episode version)
Dash dash Ohranger!  The artist’s voice is really good and the song sounds good.  Ole!


Gekisou Sentai Carranger (Episode version)
When I hear the tires screeching, I know I will sing along.  I love the singer’s voice and I love this song, though somewhat short.  A shame there is no live version of it.


Denji Sentai Megaranger (Episode version)
Electronic sounds.  Very unique, I like and enjoy it but not a favorite.


Seijuu Sentai Gingaman (Episode version)
He opening sounds like jungle drums and when you get to the Hashire, the song just goes on to be very enjoyable.  The artist sings kinda low and there is a female back up to say Gingaman.  One of my favorites.


Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGoFive (Live and episode version)
This, MY GOD!  When I first heard the episode version, I was so taken aback.  It just sounds so damn heroic!  The artist voice just fits perfectly with the theme of the song.  Definitely one of my favorites and one of the best.


Mirai Sentai Timeranger (Live and episode version)
To be honest, whenever I hear this, it still sounds like a Bohemian chant or something.  When I first heard it, I could not believe I was hearing a Japanese song.  It was also sang a woman.  A good one, nothing bad about it.


Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger (Live and episode version)
Gao!  The artist came out shirtless and looking like a wild animal.  A good song but not a favorite.


Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger (Live and episode version)
I have nothing bad to say about this.  Not a favorite.


Bakuryū Sentai Abaranger (Live and episode version)
Because of what little I can remember about Dino Thunder I hated, I instinctly decided to not like Abaranger.  That instinct must have flowed towards the song as well though I have no complaints about it.  


Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger (Live and episode version)
Sung by Psychic Lover.  He was so hyper during the liver performance.  Police sirens decorate the opening followed by the wails of an electric guitar.  A very nice one but not a favorite.


Mahou Sentai Magiranger (Episode version)
I actually cried when I first heard and watched the episode version.  It was a time when I was desperately searching for some enjoyment in life.  The kind of enjoyment I remember experiencing when I was still a 10 year old watching Power Rangers.  So I turned to Super Sentai and downloaded an episode of Magiranger from TV-Nihon because I liked Mystic Force.  The kid inside me just came back, seeing the colorful spandex and perfectly choreographed opening.


GoGo Sentai Boukenger (Episode version)
I remember hating Operation Overdrive (who didn’t) so instinct told me to not like Boukenger.  Towards the song, I have no complaints.


Juken Sentai Gekiranger (Episode version)
I was so overwhelmed with this song when I first heard it.  It was so full of action.  The peaceful Chinese sound at the beginning followed by the crashing of the gong which leads to this kick ass song is a rare gem. 


Engine Sentai Go-onger (Episode version)
I am not a fan of RPM however towards this song, no complaints.


Samurai Sentai Shinkenger (Episode version)
Psychic Lover again and it has a pretty catchy tune everyone can sing to.  I bet everyone knows which part that is.  Not a favorite however.  


Tensou Sentai Goseiger (Episode version)
The trumpets at the start are a prerequisite to what you will hear.  The artist sang the Boukenger song.  I can say I love this song very much.  I love singing along to the chorus where the sound seems to be dropping to a constant level, separated by shouts of “Tensou!” before rising to a beautiful crescendo when the artist finally sings Tensou Sentai Goseiger!


Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (Episode version)
The moment I heard it, I was hooked to the Let’s Go let’s Gokaiger.

 
Group 1
Denshi Sentai Denziman
Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan
Kagaku Sentai Dynaman
Choudenshi Bioman
Dengeki Sentai Changeman
Choushinsei Flashman
Choujuu Sentai Liveman
Kousoku Sentai Turboranger
Chōriki Sentai Ohranger
Gekisou Sentai Carranger
Seijuu Sentai Gingaman
Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGoFive
Mahou Sentai Magiranger
Tensou Sentai Goseiger
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

Group 2
Himitsu Sentai Goranger
J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai 
Battle Fever J
Dai Sentai Goggle-V
Chōjin Sentai Jetman
Gosei Sentai Dairanger
Ninja Sentai Kakuranger
Denji Sentai Megaranger
Mirai Sentai Timeranger
Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger
Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger
Bakuryū Sentai Abaranger
Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
GoGo Sentai Boukenger
Juken Sentai Gekiranger
Engine Sentai Go-onger 


Group 3
Hikari Sentai Maskman
Chikyu Sentai Fiveman
Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger



No comments:

Post a Comment